February 25, 2015
Top 10 Reasons to Leave Your Room on a Romantic Getaway Weekend
Posted by: Nancy Skee
We had a full house this weekend for Valentine's Day and the cold weather and snow didn't seem to hamper anyone's celebrations. Many of our guests planned ahead on what they wanted to do, others just went with the moment. Based on what our guests enjoyed this weekend, take a look at the top ten reason to leave your cozy room while on a romantic getaway:
1. Bottling Works, Catacombs, Alois restaurants, Medieval feasts, and Mystery dinners at Bube's Brewery. A ten-minute walk in nice weather or safe driving distance on a weathery evening, the Brewery is a night of entertainment.
2. Accomac Inn restaurant is a beautiful venue in the summer and a destination for delicious gourmet food any time of the year. Worth the 20-minute drive, especially when you ask your Innkeeper for a $20 coupon toward your meal.
3. Koomo Asian Fusion Restaurant is about a half mile from Olde Square Inn. Our weekend guests brought back doggy bags to put in their in-room refrigerators after enjoying their fill of the generous servings while dining out.
4. You can walk to Home Run Candies in Mount Joy in five minutes. Only open on Saturdays, the sea-salt chocolate covered caramel samples in your room can be purchased at Corn Crib Farmer's Market in Mount Joy. If you miss the market on Saturday, you can pick up a 1/4-pound box in our gift shop most days of the week.
4. Wilbur Chocolate Factory in Lititz gives free samples and houses a candy museum in the building. A 20-minute drive away, it's fun to go through their chocolate museum and look at the memorabilia and watch the ladies make candies.
5. Tomato Pie Cafe across the street from Wilburs. Never heard of tomato pie? Discover this amazing dish. I wish they'd give me the recipe. Additionally, there are a lot of fun little shops to visit in Lititz after you've had lunch!
6. Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse. Yes, that's the real name of the village; it means something like "where two roads meet." Part of our quaint Pennsylvania heritage, you know. Kitchen Kettle has a lot of little shops, food places, quilts, Amish-type crafts and is a 28-minute drive by car, a little longer if you're going by horse and buggy.
7. Columbia, PA, as it reinvents itself as an antique destination. You can spend the entire day visiting Burning Bridge, Bootleg Antiques, Friends and Family, Tollbooth Antiques, and more, then go to the Turkey Hill Experience. Turkey Hill, all about dairy and ice cream, is about $10 for adults and $8 for kids five and older. You can get out to Columbia in about 15 minutes.
8. Spooky Nook Sports Center is a 7-minute drive from the Inn. It's a facility that hosts sports teams and international events, but you can also go there for some active entertainment. You can climb the Rock Wall, engage in Clip and Climb, or spend some time in the arcade. The couple that plays together, stays together. Go team!
9. Our Inn's common area. It's a great place to hang out and meet new people, enjoy a cup of coffee, sip a glass of wine, or pick out a movie to take back to your room for later. I love having people in my home and so enjoyed seeing couples chatting with new friends and exchanging emails to be able to meet up later.
10. Breakfast. Don't forget that we serve a fresh three-course breakfast each day. On Valentine's Day morning we started with fresh fruit topped with organic yogurt and granola, then had a guest favorite - spinach quiche - with tomatoes, crisp bacon, and paprikash potatoes, a side dish my Hungarian mother often made when we were growing up. That lady could serve shoe leather and you'd think you were at a five-star restaurant....but that's a post for another time. Our Valentine's dessert was our Olde Square Inn Double Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Icing. And of course, coffee, tea, cocoa, and juices.
Come out and visit us. Looking forward to hearing where your adventures take you!