March 21, 2017
What If You Don't Do It?
Posted by: Nancy Skee
Back in my teacher days about the time spring rolled around, my colleagues and I would start talking about what we were going to do over summer vacation. Each week we'd talk a little more, but not wanting to dwell too much on the upcoming break because we still had classrooms full of kids to take care of. By May, though everyone had a good solid plan in place.
I never had one solid plan in place. I had a long list of things like this:
- Try a new restaurant every week
- Go to England
- Paint the deck
- Read 18 books
- Visit family in Indiana
- Write a book
- Run a half marathon
- Go to every new movie that comes out
- Take tap-dancing lessons
- Volunteer to pack lunches at the church
- Teach summer school
- Learn French
- Write all my lesson plans for fall
- Lie in the pool on a raft with a Mommy slushy
- Clean out the closets
- Take a pottery class
- Go to Market every Tuesday
- Invite friends over for dinner every Wednesday
- Visit the Wolf Sanctuary in Lititz
- Bake some new desserts
Blah, blah, blah and on and on...
So little time, so many things to have! :) Then one day someone said to me, "Are you going to make your gigantic list again? You never do everything you say you're going to do over the summer."
Here's what I say, "Who cares?! So what if I don't?!"
I love, love, love possibilities, and having a long list of them is like stocking your cupboards and refrigerator full of delicious foods to sample. Some things you try are fantastic, some are okay, others like - no way - but there are always things to try! There are always more! Possibilities are a fresh start every day!
Even though I'm not planning summer vacation ideas, I still conjure up lists of choices:
- Open a popcorn shop on Main Street(It's going to be called "Poppity Pop")
- Have a vintage/antique shop
- Feed people who are hungry (It makes me sad to know some really don't have food)
- Get Jon Gordon, Christopher Lowell, and Jane Pauley to stay at the Inn
- Write a book
- Learn the language and go back to Italy
- Find a kidney for Aimee
- Take my family on a European tour
- Become a sought-after intimate wedding venue
- Hold my family reunion at the Inn
- Get a makeover (There it is again! Haha!)
Blah, blah, blah, and on and on...
I still have a lot of things I want to do, and if someone calls me on not completing everything on my list, my answer is still, "Who cares?!! So what if I don't?" I would rather have a lot of plans and hit some of them than have no plans and make all them, right?
In January I entered a Small Business Championship sponsored by SCORE and Sam's Club to recognize the best small business across the country. Open to entrepreneurs from all states, 1563 business entered with two champions being selected from each state. Tomorrow they announce the winners. Maybe we'll be one of them, maybe not, but whichever way it turns out, it was fun to do. We gave it a shot.
Check back tomorrow when I post the results of the contest, but today share with me your answers to these questions: What is on your list of choices? What would you conjure up if you knew you could hit it out of the park? I can't wait to hear about your possibilities!