December 9, 2015
Top 5 Reasons to Get Away and Celebrate in December
Posted by: Nancy Skee
Gift shopping, tree trimming, house cleaning - oh my! December is such a busy and hectic month for everyone, making it an ideal time to take a break. Don't forget to take time to step away to relax, regroup, and reconnect before the relatives fall in for the holidays.
I was able to step away right after Thanksgiving to visit with my sisters and little mother in Indiana. (The real Indiana - home of the Hoosiers - not Indiana, PA, you know.) My little Hungarian mother, whose motto is Never Leave The House Without Your Lipstick, is 94 and was pretty happy about decorating the tree we set up. She piled all the ornaments on the tray of her walker, scooted across the room and had those things hung before I could even pour an eggnog. So precious! She said she wants to come out to see the Inn some time before she turns 100. Love it. Even she needs to get away.
You don't have to wait until you're 99 to take a little holiday. Stay with us and you're greeted with a glass of wine to enjoy in front of our living room fireplace or cozied up beside your own in-room fireplace. Welcoming decor, ensuite baths, and comfy beds dressed with luxury linens would make anyone want to stay in and not come out until breakfast. However, if that's not enough to convince you to take a break, you might consider paring your stay with:
1. Shopping. In addition to our Main Street boutiques which are generally open Tuesdays through Saturdays, we are just a short drive from both Tanger and Rockvale Outlets (check the coupons on their websites) and historic downtown Lancaster. Get all your holiday shopping finished, then come back home to Olde Square Inn, pop in a movie, put your feet up, and r-e-l-a-x. If you were too caught up in your day and didn't get a chance to get dinner, both Mosby's Pub and Harvey's Barbecue are just a two-minute walk away. Mosby's is Cheers, where everybody knows your name. All the food is great, and if you like wings, order extra crispy - out of this world, while at Harvey's you can be happy with any of their award-winning dishes. You can't go wrong with either place, and you can eat there or bring it back.
2. Make Some Family Memories. Just a 28 minute drive from the Inn, Hershey Christmas Candylane is open December 11 - 31 (but closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day), and there you can enjoy over 4 million twinkling lights and this year can even ride one of four coasters that are operating. We used to go with the kids when they were little and would walk through the lighted villages and drink hot chocolate to ward off the chill. They didn't have the roller coasters open back in the day; we probably would never have gotten the young'uns out of there. Good times! Young children are welcome in our Carriage House, while our Third Floor Suite with both king and queen sized beds is ideal for families with older children.
3. Enjoy a Holiday Show. Lancaster County is rich in live theater. Some of the offering during this holiday season include Elf, the Musical at the Fulton in downtown Lancaster, The Christmas Show at the American Music Theater (near the outlets, by the way), A Christmas Story at Dutch Apple - dinner AND a show - in Centerville, or The Miracle of Christmas at Sight and Sound. Be sure you reserve your tickets in advance.
4. Reunite as a Couple. Get Nana to watch the kids while you take some time to appreciate one another. We have many, many couples who come here just to do nothing. When I ask what their plans are, they tell me they just want to sit, talk, watch the news, watch a movie, have dinner and sleep without children velcroed to them. I remember those days; getting away with your loved one makes you nicer when you get back. You might even want to plan a focus for the upcoming year. Some of you may have read my earlier blog about Jon Gordon and One Word where he talks about focusing on one word for the New Year rather than making resolutions that are broken within a few weeks. It's a very powerful concept.
5. Celebrate New Year's Eve. Don't you know we're just a 10-minute walk from Bube's Brewery where they are planning two events for New Years?! One is a Deluxe Murder Mystery at 7pm for folks who like to have some fun then be back to celebrate, while the other is a New Year's Eve Party that begins at 9pm. The best part? No driving involved! Bube's is just straight-shot walk from the Inn, and if you are very directionally challenged, I can give you a bag of breadcrumbs to drop to help you find your way back.
You can make your reservations directly on our site, or can give me a call at 717-653-4525 if you have any questions. I'm looking forward to helping you enjoy your holiday.