June 24, 2018
How To Make Sausage Gravy With Chicken - A Guest Chef Video Recipe
Posted by: Nancy Skee
Do you love biscuits and gravy, but not so much the sausage part of the gravy? Well, aren’t you in luck today!
If you follow our Facebook page, you know that last week Nancy and Frenchie came to see us and to visit with Nancy’s brother, Randy, whose family was staying here also. The whole Reed clan has been coming to the Inn ever since I took over as Innkeeper. They laugh and talk and drink and laugh and talk and laugh and drink, and I get to be part of it.
Anyway, Nancy is a nutritionist, and she and Frenchie tend to consume more chicken than beef and pork, and she came up with a recipe for sausage gravy made with ground chicken. With the extra little touches she puts into it, you won’t even miss the sausage. It is totally delicious.
Check out this Sausage-Chicken Gravy Double Nancy Video for a quick lesson on “sausage” gravy.
Sausage Gravy with Ground Chicken
1# ground turkey or chicken
½ c. chopped onion
1 clove fresh garlic minced, or 1 T dried onion flakes
½ t. ea. salt and pepper, or to taste
1-1/2 t. chili powder
2 T flour
¾ c. milk
¼ c. heavy cream
2 T Worcestershire sauce
Brioche, biscuits, toast points, etc. – you’ll need some kind of bread product over which to serve the gravy.
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground chicken and onion together.
2. Stir in salt, pepper and chili powder.
3. Stir in fresh garlic, cooking 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Add butter and flour to make a roux, which will thicken the gravy. Stir in completely.
5. Add milk and cream, reduce heat, and cook 5 – 10 minutes until thickened. This also cooks the flour so you won’t have that weird flour-y taste.
6. Stir in Worcester sauce.
7. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
8. Spoon over biscuits or whatever you choose.
9. Eat and be happy.
Note: If the gravy gets too thick, easy-peasy Bob’s your uncle: just stir in more milk. Too thin? Keep cooking!
Let us know how it turns out! And - if you don't feel like making it, Make reservations at Olde Square Inn instead. I'll be happy to serve you a delicious breakfast!