January 11, 2015
10 Things To Do In Mount Joy In The Dead of Winter
Posted by: Nancy Skee
It's cold outside, and just about nobody dislikes the cold more than I do. But if you're like me, you get a little antsy crammed up in the house and you just want a little something to carry you through the rest of winter. Head out to this lovely little town and renew your spirit, bond with a loved one or a group of friends, and take home some fun memories to warm you during the remaining chilly months. Come out to the Inn and try these great ideas during your stay:
1. Make reservations for a Saturday night Murder Mysteries or a Sunday Night feast at Bube's Brewery. For one ticket price you get dinner and a night of entertainment! So many of our guests have commented on the great times they've had at Bube's.
2. Visit Exquisite Nail Design & Day Spa for a Swedish, deep tissue or hot stone massage, a European facial, a luxurious spa pedicure or a relaxing mani-pedi. By appointment.
3. Gather all your holiday photos for a weekend of scrapbooking, then shop the Paper Place on Main. It's a warm and inviting little shop, and the owners welcome you to take your time and browse the store for inspiration. They also offer classes and workshops!
4. Head out to The Vineyard at Grandview and visit their Tasting Room. For $6 you can get six 1-oz. glasses of wines of your choice and for another $10 will get a plate of paired cheeses and chocolates. In January they are also hosting Friday night chili dinners featuring chili from local microbreweries.
5. Stop in the Wilton Armatele Factory Store located in an historic tobacco barn right off Rt. 230. They have beautiful metal serving and decorative pieces, and if go in during Bistro Hour Mondays, you get treats along with cooking and baking demos. You'll find great discounts any time you visit.
6. Make your own French Fry Wars. Sample the fries at the local pubs on Main Street - Mosby's, Mick's All American, Beanie's, Watering Trough - most within walking distance, and let me know which is your favorite. Each of these pubs is known for it's specials, but I know which one I love best for fries!
7. Enjoy a Frozen Hot Chocolate at Higher Grounds Cafe. They also serve up soups and sandwiches, but only accept cash, so be sure you have it with you or you can run across the street to the ATM. It's a great place for hanging out and talking, and a plus for many - no wifi, meaning real conversation without tech interruptions. Cute, family-run shop.
8. Lancaster Newspapers ran an article 01.08.12 on how "crows are taking over Lancaster County in art, education, and fun." Check out the cute, cute shop As The Crow Flies at 62 E. Main Street. LOVE this store, and aside from it's fun merchandise, it smells SO good when you walk in!
9. Eastland Alpacas in Mount Joy is open during January on Saturdays from 10-4, or by appointment other times, and you get to pet and feed Alpacas. They also have a farm store that stocks soft, soft Alpaca yarn and other products. They do ask that you double-check and make sure they're around so you won't be disappointed!
10. Snuggle up in the beautiful room of your choice in front of your own fireplace at Olde Square Inn, open a bottle of wine and watch a video. Or maybe you'll want to come downstairs to our cozy common area and enjoy the fire, a cup of tea, and some conversation. Wake up to a delicious three-course hot breakfast served in our elegant dining room before returning home with warm thoughts and memories.
These are some of our top picks for the winter, additionally here are other Mount Joy attractions you might enjoy. Can't wait to hear what you'll discover during your Cabin Fever day away!